Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mermaid Room by Sarah

Penelope's Mermaid Room!
I decided a long time ago that if I ever had a little girl, I would take a stand against the pink pink pink bedroom. Pink ruffles, pink curtains... pink, pink, pink.
Well, now I have two little girls and they LOVE pink! Penelope's room was my way of incorporating something other than pink, although she would have been very happy with the pink ruffles and curtains! So here it is...
...ORANGE!
Okay, this color was a beast to paint. Three coats. You heard right. Three. The walls were white, so I didn't prime them. Oops. After two coats, I couldn't see anymore white, but could see "lighter" orange. So, prime. prime, prime, prime. And I don't even want to think about what it's going to take to paint over it! ;)

SOMEBODY has a very large collection of tutus. I made a few, but had to stop when her collection outgrew her tutu rack!
The mirror was above our fireplace, and we took it down to hang the flat screen tv.
She dances in front of it at least a few times a day, and I'm sure she has gotten up to check herself out in the middle of the night. hehe


The lower bookshelf under the window was a tall, skinny shelf that is tipped onto its side. All of the shelves were black laminate that I primed and painted white.

Seaweed! (Gillyweed, anyone?) That "Giggle" is a vinyl decal that happened to match the seaweed color perfectly.

Mermaid paintings are hand painted on canvas. I have used those particular canvases for about 5 different projects. I'm sure someday she'll want something other than mermaids, and in that case, a coat of primer starts it over again.

This night light was in my room as a baby. :) sweet.

Hope you enjoyed a peek into Penny's room, and that it'll inspire you to go for it!

8 comments:

  1. Aww I love the room! The color is beautiful and I love all the little tutus! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sarah that is so cute! i am so glad you are doing this with telisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this room. And the Mermaid pics are GREAT! Reusing the canvas is such a good idea, but I think those are too stinking cute to paint over - even later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So bright and cheery. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you on TT&J... I just love the mermaid idea. So stinkin' cute!

    www.getcraftlicious.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling room! Your mermaid theme is just adorable and this looks like such a fun place to dream and create. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, we love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...